BOOK DISCUSSION GUIDE - For Book Clubs, Tri Clubs, and other groups!
THE ATHLETE INSIDE: The Transforming Power of Hope, Tenacity, and Faith
The RIGHT book for your group!
With the world gearing up for the 2021 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, this is a great time for your group to read a book about the surprising advancement of an everyday, morbidly obese woman (who couldn’t even tie her own shoes!) to a world-class triathlete who finished sixth in the world (and first American) at the Triathlon World Championship! The book’s messages about conquering fear and pride to become the person we wish to be are appropriate for both athletes and non-athletes. Sue Reynolds’s inspirational and humorous story helps us all understand what it takes to become the best version of ourselves. Anything is possible!
Testimony from book clubs:
- Thank you for your discussion with our book club. It was a delight!
- Thanks again for meeting with our book club! Great zoom! We all totally enjoyed it. And FYI, a few of the ladies plan to recommend your book to be included in their church’s recommended book list!
Invite Sue to meet with your group!
Sue loves meeting readers and is happy to answer questions they may have. If you would like her to attend your book club discussion, please contact Sue.
Suggested discussion questions:
- What three words would you use to best describe this book?
- What was your favorite moment in the book?
- What surprised you most when you read the book?
- If you had to choose one lesson that Sue was trying to teach us with her story, what would it be?
- What feelings did this book evoke for you?
- What is your biggest take-away from the book?
- If you had a chance to ask Sue one question, what woul it be?
- What aspects of Sue’s story were most relatable for you?
- Share a favorite quote from the book. Why did this quote stand out?
- Sue said, “Go away, fear! Go away, pride!” throughout her journey. When has fear or pride kept you from doing something that you wanted to do? What did you do get past your fear or pride?
- One mantra that Sue used repeatedly was, “No excuses. Whatever it takes. Find away.” How does this attitude impact one’s ability to achieve at a high level?
- What one word describes Sue and others you know who are successful? As people share words, secretly tally if the word describes a) an attitude, b) finances, or c) an quality inherited at birth (for example, being tall). Share the results with your club members. Then ask, “What is the most important thing one needs for success?
- What does this statement mean to you, “Big Successes is simply a series of little steps over time.”
- The most underlined phrase in the Kindle version of The Athlete Inside is “You can’t always control your motivation, but you can control your discipline.” Why do you think this statement resonated with so many people?
about THE BOOK
THE ATHLETE INSIDE
The Transforming Power of Hope, Tenacy, and Faith
Four years ago, Sue Reynolds was morbidly obese at 335 pounds. After being on yo-yo diets almost all her life, she tried one more time without much hope for positive results. But this time was different. She was fed up with not being able to do things because of her size. She was tired of not being able to tie her own shoes, fit in restaurant booths, or walk more than a few feet. She was ready.
The Athlete Inside follows Reynolds’s journey as she lost 200 pounds and found an athlete hiding inside her body. From her first walk to the neighbor’s mailbox to finishing sixth at the World Triathlon Championship, Reynolds discovered the joy of conquering fear and pride to find that the best version of herself had been there all along.
A world-class triathlete and a grandmother, Reynolds is proof that you can transform your life at any age. Her story is one of hope, tenacity, and faith, as she committed to doing whatever it took to be among the best triathletes in the world. It’s a story about a unique intergenerational relationship between Reynolds and the young coach who earned her trust and helped her develop fitness and confidence. It’s a story about the power of kindness and the spiritual growth Reynolds experienced as she realized the compassion that surrounded her was the face of God. Ultimately, it’s the story of how each of us can discover amazing gifts and talents within ourselves.